ACTFL/LCF Award for Excellence in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Classroom
Proposed by the ACTFL DEI Committee in 2023, the ACTFL/LCF Award for Excellence in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Classroom recognizes language educators at all levels who have intentionally and effectively created accessible spaces of belonging for their learners and incorporated diverse, equitable and inclusive principles into their classroom curriculum and projects, and in doing so have enabled all students, including those with special needs, to develop linguistic and cultural competence.
Aligned with ACTFL’s commitment to develop and promote a diverse and inclusive language education community by working to break down barriers to access and opportunity, and as demonstrated in the Learning for Justice Social Justice Standards, the ACTFL/LCF Award for Excellence in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Classroom seeks to inspire:
- Programs that are truly inclusive, culturally responsive, and encourage meaningful communication to foster global citizenship in and out of the classroom;
- Initiatives that recognize and demonstrate the positive role that diversity, equity and inclusion play in language education; and
- Educators and students that affirm and promote antiracism and social justice.
- $1,000 honorarium, to one language educator teaching at any level; and
- a complimentary one-year membership to ACTFL
Specific Criteria to Consider in Evaluation of Nominees
- Promotes empathy and inclusion to affirm the responsibilities of global citizenship;
- Addresses and challenges systemic biases and stereotypes; and
- Fosters critical thinking and encourages students to take action towards positive social change.
Procedures for Nomination
The nomination dossier must include the following documents (in order):
- A cover letter introducing the nominee and the relevant program/initiative
- Letters of support (maximum of 3; including but not limited to colleagues, supervisors, current and former students, administrators)
- Additional narrative/ supporting documents related to LCF/Sponsor agreed upon evaluation criteria; supporting materials can be in any language (not to exceed 10 pages) and may include links to video and audio files
- Nominees do not
need to be members of ACTFL.
- Members of the ACTFL and LCF Boards of Directors are not eligible to nominate candidates for nor receive this award.
The nomination period for the ACTFL/LCF Award for Excellence in Diversity, Equity, and
Inclusion in the Classroom closed on July 7,
Thank you to all who expressed interest in the inaugural year of this award!