LCF/Klett Award for Sustainable Development Education in the World Language Classroom
The LCF/Klett Award for Sustainable Development Education in the World Language Classroom recognizes both language educators (K-20) and individual students (college or university) who have effectively incorporated elements of the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into their classroom curriculum and projects, and in doing so promote global awareness and social responsibility among their students and peers, the world leaders of the future.
Aligned with Klett World Languages’ mission to improve mutual understanding and promote peace and prosperity through competence in world languages and an appreciation of diverse cultures, the LCF Award for Education for Sustainable Development in the World Language Classroom seeks to inspire:
- language education programs that are diverse, inclusive, and encourage meaningful communication to foster global citizenship in and out of the classroom; and
- initiatives that recognize that sustainability requires meeting the needs of our current generation without compromising the ability of future generations to also meet theirs.
Up to three (3) $1,000 awards granted annually, one each to a:
- K-12 Educator
- College/University Educator
- College/University Student
Specific Criteria Considered in the Evaluation of Nominees
- Incorporates one or more of the UN’s 17 SDGs
- Fosters global citizenship via integration of diverse perspectives, cultures, and ideas
- Inspires creativity and collaboration among students/peers
- Promotes empathy and inclusion to affirm collective social responsibility
Procedures for Nomination
The nomination dossier must include the following documents (in order):
- A cover letter introducing the nominee and the relevant program/initiative
- Letters of support (maximum of 3)
- Additional narrative/ supporting documents (not to exceed 10 pages)
Note: Members of the ACTFL and LCF Boards of Directors are not eligible to nominate candidates for nor receive this award.
The nomination period for the LCF/Klett Award for Sustainable Development Education in the World Language Classroom closed on June 30, 2023.
Thank you to all who expressed interest in the inaugural year of this award!